View Single Post
Old February 17th, 2013, 04:24 PM

Second Lieutenant

SaS TrooP is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Turkey's Lightening Shield Operation

I enjoyed story-like intro and approached it the way you wanted, so focused on tactics and cautious NATO approach. Here is how I done it:

Task Force HQ deployed on hill just north of town, with highest point of 71 I think
Company HQ deployed near Roman Catholic Church, not to risk the chain of command
Weapons Unit was first to combat enemy troops, that in a moment, deployed in a northern part of the ridge line
Mortar platoon deployed northwest of town
Platoon 1 deployed circa 400m south of Agricultural Labs, in the small treeline
Platoon 2 deployed in hedgerows around Agricultural Labs
Platoon 3 split in line over first three crossroads in town
Platoon 3 Weapons Squad exclusively deployed with TF HQ
Ranger element maintained full mobility

Now, After Action Report:
All units were deployed as above: my concept was to fight Syrians off with typical delaying action and deployment so units could cover each other. AirCav element was to delay, while Ranger attachment was to search for enemy mortars that yes, were discovered quickly.
Weapons Platoon was first to tackle the enemy. I have deployed them on the ridge yet when smoke was up to provide great protection for my Milan troops. Milans fired all 8 missiles, out of which 7 were accurate. I have managed to eliminate most of heavy armour at this point. They have received only limited mortar fire, but only one salvo and luckily, no one was even wounded. I have then evacuated Milans and left snipers on the ridge to annoy and delay enemy even more.
In so called meantime, Ranger platoon too a strong flanking to the south and landed on a farm, around 500 metres away from mortar positions. I was cautious at first (what delayed me and endangered Weapons Platoon), but then I decided to rush, especially seeing no proper protection for then and took all of the mortars in 3 turns, AA defence and their vehicles and - surprisingly! - enemy HQ unit I was absolutely not expecting there. I have departed shortly after.
Later on, enemy started to climb on the ridge. Infantry was picked one by one by friendly snipers, then my mortars started to fire as well. Enemy vehicles had to be destroyed: I was first reluctant to use Milans as BTRs were to come and I was most worried about these, but when Shortlands engaged my choppers I had no other way. I took out several vehicles on that ridge with circa 90% efficiency and kept enemy units away by using only my M2s and AGLs for fire. Around turn 10, Rangers landed on the southern part of the ridge to cover the road and I had majority of my troops targeting open field and cooperating closely with mortars and choppers, hovering and helping with their board weapons (snipers took care of ATGM teams, there was only 1 Kornet launch that luckily failed).
My troops were nearly not shot at, there was only one stressful situation. I avoided any engagement in range below 400 metres to keep my advantage.
By that, I mean by turn 20, Syrians still had like 10 BTRs operable but still climbing on the ridge, my AT ammunition was done (Milans only), majority of enemy unit was in retreat.
Syrian echelon was destroyed in at least 75%, having only around 100 troops and around 10 BTRs alive. Exact Syrian losses were: 342 men, 12 mortar tubes, 6 Ural trucks, 15 APCs (Shortland, BTR-152, BTR-60), 9 tanks (6x T-55AMV, 3x T-62MV)

On the Turkish side, for entire battle only 2 helicopters got damaged and had to evacuate, however they were not in grave danger. No wounded of fatalities occurred so entire casualty rate is 0 (zero). In points, it was 5917:5

Nice and interesting scenario, could have been a bit longer so Syrians would try to enter this town anyway. This would be more dramatic and I would have to go low-tech and engage with M72s. I am also surprised this element did not dispose air support as F-4/16s, AirCav should be usually protected.
However I did not enjoy Highway A01 Ambush, this scenario was absolutely nice and I would await continuation.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to SaS TrooP For This Useful Post: