View Single Post
Old August 22nd, 2022, 06:09 PM

Lieutenant Colonel

MarkSheppard is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Just rebooted this game and wow!

[quote=Mobhack;853077]
Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkSheppard View Post
Likely a shortcut to make the AI more competetive with restricted CPUs of the day and also memory. PBEM replay as I recollect was brought in as a patch to SP1 after a year or so and it required a hefty (for the day!) RAM upgrade to - IIRC - 2MB.
Also, back then development cycles were severely compressed -- we've gotten used to games taking three or four years to be released today; something possible only because video game consoles took over enough of the market to force graphical stasis.

Back then, you might have a year or less to code a game. So shortcuts had to be taken.

Quote:
Those were the days when you had multiple MSDOS boots using different calls to HIMEM and other such routines (there was some other one than HIMEM) for handling of memory above 640K, sound card setups etc.
Now there's stuff I haven't heard in a long time...I do remember QEMM being the best for automagically moving everything into different areas to magically open up enough convnetional memory to run jst about everything with no need for boot disks.