View Single Post
Old May 30th, 2021, 08:58 AM

Shrapnel Fanatic

Thanked 5,438 Times in 2,698 Posts
DRG will become famous soon enough
Default Re: British OOB7 corrections/suggestions (v.6)

Troopie

That question, and variations of it, are SOP and in all cases the answer comes back a variation on "not really". There have been very few what I might consider real "game changer" OOB corrections made over the years and I honestly cannot recall the last time I found one I thought would make a real difference to how a game battle would play out.

Without belaboring the point the Typhoon IA "error" is a fair example since we are in that thread. We had it 9/41....it has been 9/41 as far back as I can check which is 2004. The odds someone won or lost a game because it was in with bombs a year early is infinitesimal because even with it moved to a later date there are other aircraft that can deliver the same basic firepower and bomb-load to do the same job as it so for whatever the "average" player is it would change nothing in how his game played out even though by this new information there was an historical error in the game.

I have posted elsewhere that "perfect" OOB's are an unobtainable goal and to even try to make that happen would require someone who really understands how the game is put together and uses all that data for AI and ( most importantly )actually likes to do the work and understand how it all fits together so as to NOT cause knock-off effects and that's a very ( very ) short list. I said back in 2019 when we release SPWW2 V12 that OOB work on winSPWW2 is frozen. Apparently all that did was stimulate even more reports and more "bright ideas" on how the game "should" be changed to make it "better". Right now there are just over 13,000 units in SPWW2 ( 39,468 in MBT ) Each unit has 59 data entry points ( 66 in MBT ). Each unit has a potential to use 4 weapons and each weapon has 13 data points and there are 4,983 of them ( 16,393 in MBT ). Those units are used by 7,082 formations ( 17,936 in MBT ) and each formation has 20 data entry points and each one of those data entry points could contain what someone might claim to be "errors" so the OOB's are an easy target for someone with an axe to grind.

If we did this for another 100 years the chance that no one could find what they consider a flaw in the OOB's is absolute zero and even if all the flaws could indeed be corrected the game would play little different than it does now.

Both SPWW2 and SPMBT are games. They were never intended to be the definitive historical simulation of battles that covers a 95 year time span even though we have expanded and fine turned the OOB's from the original game and from the very start SPww2 deviated from historical reality by allowing Germany and Japan to have armed forces after both ceased to be in reality to allow players to "what if". That was part of the game design process that any "historical purist" would have issues with.

We've been doing this since 1998. Neither Andy nor I ever expected we would still be working on it 23 years years later and we both agree we both probably would have given the whole thing a pass had we known.

If you find you are constantly reacting to your enemy's tactics instead forcing the enemy to react to yours, you are losing the battle....
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to DRG For This Useful Post: