View Single Post
Old March 24th, 2022, 04:50 AM

Corporal

chris h is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Opportunity fire with AAA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mobhack View Post
I have noticed (presumably hidden) AA guns popping off opfires at things you might not have expected, and it has been at the back of my mind to investigate some day. It's rare though.

Likely there is a wee bit of code dealing with just class 4 weapons that leads to them doing the squiffy thing and ignoring filters etc. for random ground targets. I'll have a look at it at some point, but more focussed on my recently broken shoulder ATM, so it may be some time!

In any case - they will opfire at stuff if they are currently spotted, just like other units will do, when no filters are set. If your AA were spotted and/or have shot at then they will be more "weapons free" than if they think they are hidden. Being shot at changes filtering (or the simply Y key range) to the firer's range+1 so as to allow return fire.
Yes I noticed all that and it makes sense and generally works well.

With AAA their primary job is to protect against air threats, spotted or otherwise. Once fired and spotted they become ripe targets for enemy fire so preventing that is important. Currerntly there are two ways to prevent this, as I see it, put them somewhere the enemny cannot get LOS or reduce their range.

Reducing they range is the problem as I have not noticed any AAA unit firing at anything over the range you set using the Y key.

Assuming they can and I've not noticed it, then the other problem kicks in if in LOS. As soon as they fire their range is set to that of the air target and effectively giving them permission to fire on anything else within that range. They may not have been spotted firing once but as soon as they then fire on something else the chance of being spotted increases to almost certainty, especially vehicles.

The problem in general is you want them to do their job but remain hidden, if possible. This is why I suggest adding a filter similar to the one that prevent land units firing at air units.