View Single Post
Old January 11th, 2012, 06:02 PM

Corporal

Shangrila00 is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Is there a niche for Longdead Archers?

Quote:
Originally Posted by rdonj View Post
The biggest benefit of longdead archers is that they use magic bows. This can actually be pretty huge, mainly because this means that they ignore ethereal/mistform/etc. If an opponent is using seasonal summons, ghosts, or green lions, this is a form of conventional forces that can kill them, and generally for a much lower cost. The decay itself is usually not a big deal and I would never recruit them just for that.
Without the decay, it's seriously just a crossbow with double the rate of fire, albeit magical, and a bow of war is so much better at just spamming magic arrows against ethereal summons or popping fog warriors, while a piercer or vision's foe would be better against mistformed thugs/SCs. Though, as you say, the decay really isn't worth much, since you have to actually score a hit, which would already be doing physical damage which would probably kill the target first. The Banefire crossbow's decay effect is so much more useful since it's an unavoidable aoe on enemies not actually hit by the physical attack.

I just can't see any circumstance in which it's useful to spend a F2D1 mage turn, over a single path mage turn on a magic bow. Besides the odd case of facing tons of summons and better able to afford spending death than air gems to counter, are there any cases in which Reanimate Archers is better than doing something else?

On an unrelated note, the wiki has a size 6 divine mummy with awesome stats as a possible result of ritual of rebirth. How do you get it? I tried RoRing Hannibal, the size 6 elephant mercenary and still only got a giant mummy.