View Single Post
Old August 9th, 2019, 05:45 PM

Corporal

ErikCumps is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Warcab 0.8.0 BETA version

While I'm at it, here's another question

When a unit is cross-attached to another formation, and the OOB record ID of the
formation is not changed, that new unit will probably not match the OOB formation
record information, right?

Ok, there's a bunch of special winSPWW2 support work popping up here, I think.

You see, before I discovered the unit 'valid' flag in the savegame section #01, warcab
had to resort to some fancy OOB formation record discovery and verification to determine
if a unit in the savegame is a valid unit or not (i.e. it could be a leftover from a previous
game)

Today warcab knows about the unit "valid" flag and the fancy OOB record checking is
no longer necessary to determine unit validity, but it is still being used to determine the
unit's core status: in some cases a formation contains a unit which obviously does not
belong to the formation according to the formation's OOB info. In such a case, this unit
gets an SPAU status (Special Purpose Attached Unit - this only has a meaning in warcab).
These SPAU units are considered support units, not core units.

Take for example a "PionierZug(gep)" formation with OOB formation record 241. This
formation is supposed to contain 10 units, but I have seen savegames (albeit from a
scenario battle), where this kind of formation contained the expected 10 units, but also
an additional 11th unit, a "Schlauchboot" -> That's an SPAU.

But all that will have to change now, I guess. If units can be cross-attached, they will
probably no longer match the formation's OOB info and they will be mistakenly tagged
as SPAU and hence as support unit.

To fix this, warcab will have to assume (at least for campaign savegames) that all units
in a core formation are core formations, which will also mean losing the SPAU status
of actual SPAU units.

But, based on the previous messages in this thread, I guess that won't be too big a
sacrifice to make?

Erik