Thread: MBT's
View Single Post
Old January 31st, 2019, 03:54 AM

Lieutenant General

Thanked 1,238 Times in 926 Posts
FASTBOAT TOUGH is on a distinguished road
Fallout Re: MBT's

The M1A1HC FEP deserves more of my time. When I submitted the M1A2 SEP V2 I quoted from one of my Refs from the Col. in charge of the program basically this... "We now have a FCS that can see and identify a target almost as far as our ammo can kill it." it'd be easier to find it in the Fastboat Patch Thread then the MBT one if you're interested. But this was one of my "lynch pin" items I suggested to break the TI/GSR 40 barrier.

And now you the player have it but on more than one tank as Don and any of you that follow my work, I came to realize after going back and I believe I reviewed something like 20 different MBT's world wide and dug into their FCS's as much as I could, who assisted them in the research if it applied etc. etc. (It's all in the MBT Thread between 3 and 4 years back I think.) Many got to 50 some at 45 and some stayed where they were at and couple saw a slight reduction and all backed by the Refs. I had at the time.

This is where I would normally when I get in the mood to start my lecture on properly researching (Oh here he goes again !) etc. etc. etc. however, let's just do this for now...

As much as I would like to help the CORPS I can't pull things out of arse only from the web, so, concerning the M1A1HC FEP you get no armor upgrade, you should be able to keep the TI/GSR 50 and if Don agrees based on the following below and reading what the math is telling me as well, I feel more than comfortable in saying it should have the same FCS numbers as the SEP V2.

Before I start, it is important to remember that FEP is all about the FCS and associated support systems. Now I can start...

USMC/CHANGE/M1A1HC FEP VARIENTS/UNITS 467, 468 & 469/START 06/2012 vice 01/2008/TI/GSR 50 vice 45/FC 60 vice 55/UNIT 468 MRAP 7 vice SURVIBILITY 6/SAME MBT AS UNITS 467 & 469//I've backed off the start date from yesterday after reviewing the chart from Ref. 1 of the same post and some other data this morning. I really feel anything before 2010 is too early, I could be wrong however, based on what's out there, I don't see it UNLESS it can be found in the Annual USMC Chronological History. I used that on the LAV-AD if you remember. I don't see anything to warrant a STABLISER increase at this point, if you do based on the following quote from Ref. 1 below, I have no real problem with it as I'm "more on the fence about it than off of it" concerning it. I have a good understanding of "over the horizon" targeting so I was somewhat impressed by this next.

"FEP (Firepower Enhancement Package) – USMC
The FEP upgrade was awarded to DRS Techologies for the GEN II TIS destined to the US Marine Corps M1A1 tanks. This system comprises a 480 x 4 SADA (Standard Advanced Dewar Assembly) detector, an eyesafe laser rangefinder, a north-finding module and precision lightweight global positioning receiver. These enable the new Far Target Locate (FTL) targeting solution capability. This subsystem provides accurate targeting data to a range of 8,000 m with a 114 feets (35 m) Circular Error of Probability. This system extends the firing range into uncharted territories, a below-horizon capability with the earth curvature taken in account in what it is barely a “direct fire” anymore."

That is some of the most powerful wording I've seen for any FCS I've looked into to date. I'll leave it at that.

http://www.tanks-encyclopedia.com/co.../M1_Abrams.php
(Above follows some of the very few that are out there.)
https://fas.org/man/dod-101/sys/land...fepsrdrev4.htm

Suhiir now stop bringing things to my attention if you would, just like a MARINE to try to improve their lot!?!

Well it was a long cold night out there checking "things" and I'm ready for the rack!

Regards,
Pat

"Ex communi periculo, fraternitas" - My career long mentor and current friend -QMCM/SS M. Moher USN Ret..

Last edited by FASTBOAT TOUGH; January 31st, 2019 at 04:03 AM..
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to FASTBOAT TOUGH For This Useful Post: