View Single Post
Old January 8th, 2000, 04:31 PM

Sergeant

reimero is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Favorite wargame?

Well, since you asked, the game I liked least was Three-Sixty's Patriot. Man, that game was awful!!! I was sooo looking forward to playing it after playing Harpoon, which was very well done, and it was the pits! The learning curve was steep, the graphics were poor, confusing and cheap, and the realism seemed to be... lacking.

On a related note, the game that got me excited about the possibilities of computer wargaming was Harpoon, which I first saw on an Amiga in Europe. The graphics weren't the most spectacular, but since the designers knew graphics would be hard, they made the interface look like a radar display. It does a great job with FOW (even throwing in fishing trawlers and news helecopters you need to ID.) Actually, I still think it's one of the better-done wargames out there, especially of those designed for DOS. But because the graphics are less than intensive (but by no means crappy - the map modelling is very well done) it means that the game is using even more realistic data and weapons behave as one would expect. I still have it and would play a lot more frequently if I could find a DOS driver for my mouse