View Single Post
Old February 2nd, 2007, 04:59 AM

Major

Micah is on a distinguished road
Default ME Ulm Vs Jotunheim advice wanted.

It's turn 16 in a fairly large MP game. I'm on a peninsula and have a 5 province border with Jotunheim, plus 2 provinces that border him but don't breach a front of mine. I border no one else on land, just a few water provinces and the edge of the map.

I'm kind of expecting him to come after me in a couple of turns after he's done sieging another player's capital. I have 3 well-placed forts churning out guys, but nothing seems effective against the giants...the cap-only guardians manage to take a sizable chunk out of the giants, but the normal troops tend to explode in blood, and like to rout to boot. Pikes seem to work the best, but that's not saying much.

I do have a decent amount of smiths, and I'm recruiting more every turn.

The one ray of sunshine that I have is that he's probably hitting his resource cap pretty hard, but that's about it.

Is there anything I can do here, or do I just sort of roll over and die to the horrible nation mismatch? I know the normal anti-giant strategies involve raiding and avoiding pitched battles, but seeing that my guys all have a 1 map movement that seems fairly hard to pull off.

Diplomatically he only has one neighbor aside from the soon-to-be-dead one, and I think the most help I can count on is opportunistic province-grabbing if I manage to distract Jotunheim enough, or maybe a full out assault once Jotunheim is engaged...regardless, it won't do much to take the heat off of me, since I'm sure Jotunheim will be loathe to leave the front with me to go deal with the other threat. It may stop reinforcements from coming in, but I still have the initial problem of 50+ giants on my hands.

Any advice is welcome, although any magic above level 4 is probably not feasible, at least to deal with his first attack, so don't bother telling me to spam magma eruption (I'd love to, believe me)