Thread: Future games
View Single Post
Old January 29th, 2009, 09:46 PM

Second Lieutenant

S.R. Krol is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Future games

Folgore, actually with some scenario tinkering you can pretty much make a War Plan Orange scenario with War Plan Pacific.

ScottWAR, funny you should mention WWI and Cold War Gone Hot, both of those were hopes I also expressed to John. For World War One you can actually do quite a bit, especially if you want to focus on Germany's cruisers sailing the world hunting down merchant vessels. Just check out Avalanche Press' Great War At Sea series, there are scores of WWI scenarios that can be dug up from there.

A modern naval game (by that, NATO versus Warsaw Pact) would be awesome. No one has really done a strategic modern naval game on the PC, although I suppose some of the larger Harpoon scenarios might qualify. There is an old board game from Simulations Canada called Seapower and the State which is a global naval WW3 game that also deals with merchant shipping that would translate well for WPP.

If you're doing a land based game with the system I'd think you'd need another layer. The majority of point-to-point based board games all are derived from Mark Herman's We The People and use cards. Having a card driven computer digital board game could be cool.

Oh, and speaking of focusing on convoys let's not forget the Murmansk run. Lots of fun to be had there.