Old October 27th, 2018, 05:43 PM

Private

Aquila is on a distinguished road
Default Re: New player: struggling to overcome entrenched enemies

Quote:
Originally Posted by zastava128 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aquila View Post
2) It is probably not a good idea to engage the complete enemy line but to focus on one part of his line and then punch there trough with superior forces?
Yes, this is probably the most important principle of war.

Some more general tips:

1. Look at the approaches to the enemy objectives. Which are the most obvious ones? These are the most likely to be heavily defended, possibly with bunkers and mines. Avoid them.

2. Avoid advancing for long distances over clear ground. Use the terrain (including slopes!) to cover your advance.

3. Send small units like scouts or armoured cars to probe a route - if they encounter very heavy resistance, choose another path.

4. Resist the temptation to take inaccurate "pot shots" at long range with your infantry - they are unlikely to cause damage, and will only make you more visible and slow your advance - the more you fire, the easier it will be for your enemies to spot you.

5. Use smoke to cover your advance. If your infantry get shot at, using smoke instead of returning fire is usually a better choice.

6. Pay close attention to which infantry units are carrying LMGs, as they have both more firepower and more range than those armed only with rifles. In the China '37 campaign, this is one of your key advantages against the Chinese, who usually outnumber you but have worse equipment.

7. Use the Z-fire option with your MGs to suppress the enemy. But remember to keep your MGs out of range of their rifles and LMGs!

I've attached an annotated map of the Chinese positions (zipped due to attachment size restrictions). Where do you think it would be best to attack? The Chinese line has a definite weakness - can you see it?
Thanks for the tips there really helpful, especially due to the fact that I use most attack shots and didn´t know that it does more harm than good.

Is there by the way a way to see a hit chance prediction? I can´t spot it on the UI.

I would choose the low aproach because it allows me to face the least expected resistance. The middle aprach is tempting die to the close cover but once being on the height of the trenches, I´ve probably had to face incoming fire from 12, 9, and 6 o´clock.