Thread: AAR Hammer and Anvil
View Single Post
Old August 2nd, 2018, 11:42 AM

Second Lieutenant

Aeraaa is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Hammer and Anvil

Turns 31-35

While there are numerous small actions everywhere, I’ll focus on the most important points.

To the southeast, the Ukrainian main body continues to move towards Siret bridge, capturing it easily after most of its defenders are eliminated. Only a few isolated squads, two BTRs and two tanks remain (one of them is the company commander’s tank, which is immobilized and not of much use). A brave heavy MG squad causes casualties to the truck-borne infantry to the north at (2) before succumbing to close range tank fire. In the end, Ukrainians had few casualties. Their tanks are being shelled though at (1), by 120mm mortar fire and 152mm artillery fire. My artillery also shells the infantry force at (2) and (3), causing great casualties to the regular infantry. My 35mm AAGs also fire at (4), pinning that force in place. Ukrainian mortars though are successful in shelling my artillery at (5), destroying two trucks and causing disruption.

After capturing Siret bridge, the Ukrainian main body moves towards the southeastern outskirts of Roman itself. The heroic resistance of the force defending the bridge, gave me time to move three infantry platoons and one tank platoon to delay and damage the Ukrainian force. The first clash happens around (6), where my infantry destroys one BTR-4 and kills the crewmen that bailed out of the vehicle. 400+ points for one old RPG plus small arms fire, not bad at all. My remaining tank destroyers set position at (7) and fire at Ukrainian armor ineffectively. They are themselves destroyed by ATGM fire.

Ukrainians have more aircraft arriving and they bomb my forces around (8). I lose two trucks carrying 100mm AT guns (I have just one remaining and they haven’t participated in the battle at all) and one tank. I manage to damage one SU-25 though.

One platoon that outflanked the paras attacking Sima’s house put an end to the Ukrainian attacks and also managed to capture the city hall at (9).

Finally at (10), the Romanian battalion is almost completely across the bridge (sans their BTRs). They eventually manage to defeat the paratroopers counterattacking them and they also manage to capture the Romanuly church after bitter close quarters fighting with the engineer platoon defending it. My BTRs manage to chase off one Hind, but the other destroys one BTR and remains a viable threat.

In the pink squares are the objectives not yet captured by me. The university will quickly fall, but the bridge and the old cemetery are difficult goals and I probably need to find some kind of small mechanized task force to accomplish these objectives. Easier said than done, since I need all my armor for defending against the Ukrainian counterattack from the southeast and to keep it alive from enemy helos and aircraft to boot.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Aeraaa For This Useful Post: