View Single Post
Old October 27th, 2014, 01:08 AM

Corporal

Dubious is on a distinguished road
Post Re: General Discussion

Quote:
Originally Posted by ibol View Post

- you can replace the cloak with a shield, as long as you have one (didn't sell or drop it). The cloak's duration is up to your actions: it will last until you 'interact' with something (like shooting, landing, taking damage, etc.) it is a strategic device.
Indeed, I see that now. So it is much more useful for evasion than combat. Can you swap (install) the cloak in/out during combat? Can you warp while cloaked and appear in the next sector still cloaked, or is that an "interaction"? Assuming better versions become available later on with faster cool down, it brings up the related questions to the next points (except crafting):

Quote:
- please also note that now the 'stealth runner' is available for you to start games with (not just to buy at shipyards).
Good to know. Makes sense if it is tied to an achievement. Is there a way to tell before buying how many "ship devices" a given ship has available, or are they all the same in that regard?

Quote:
- ship devices do all have matching icons, except for the cloaking device, which is significantly different from a shield, yet goes in the same slot. You can use the pictures to tell what goes where.
Are there specific slots available on specific designs, or can anything go into an available slot? It appears to be the former, so I was thinking more along the lines of the attached image, with the last slot being an "anything" slot.

Quote:
- crafting is not effected by difficulty. The 'lab' is hit or miss, and best attempted after you've collected a lot of parts.
So in the lab, when you have successfully determined a part works together with SOME other parts in a given pattern, they appear in green letters, and if still selected the "test results" show a "green check". The failed components are listed on the left with gray letters. Selected components in the "Pattern Sequence" have a "green light" radio button in the left-hand list. But if you don't have a "selected component" in your pattern of parts to be tested available, the only way you can tell is by it's absence from the list of parts down the left side? Works I guess, but wouldn't a different background color for the part icon in the "Pattern Sequence" be more obvious (ignoring memory and file size considerations)? (Just an observation; it's nothing major.)

Thanks for the answers. I've gotten through all 7 sectors, and explored all but the "toxic/radiated" planets I can't survive with my existing equipment. Though now some of the planet "critters" have me out-ranged as well, so it appears all I can do at the moment is "trading" to make some money. That brings up it's own challenges, so hopefully it will keep me occupied until release.

As I mentioned earlier, this is all about upgrading equipment, which means it's about economics. Given the sectors don't appear to "regenerate" the "goodie piles" (at least in the Demo), trading becomes essential as a means to produce the revenue to buy supplies and replacements. Until you can afford a warp drive with a range beyond one, that means long expensive (in terms of burning supplies) waits for the warp engine to cool down to jump to the next sector. That is not appearing viable with a limited cargo space ship at the moment but I'll see. Does time pass while docked at a station? If not, then it appears the only option is to "wait" while hiding out in a nebula.

-Dubious-
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	AI Installed Ship Components-new.jpg
Views:	203
Size:	45.7 KB
ID:	13293