View Single Post
Old August 18th, 2010, 11:29 PM

Private

KV7 is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Ideas how to improve WinSP MBT/WW2 !

Yes, it is effective enough, but from the blast damage, sometimes the destroyed tank is in another hex altogether. anyways, that is not the big issue.

what I would like to see is the HE rounds on howitzers having a discrete chance to directly hit in direct fires based on the FC and accuracy.

Say I open up with a 122mm howitzer at 800 yards on a M113 APC, there could be two effects,

1, A discrete chance of achieving a direct hit, with in this case rather sever consequences, determined in the same way as if firing a heat round.

2, Failing this, a chance for blast and shrapnel hits determined by the shell size and HE kill, as per indirect fires.

This is of course very similar to the duel use HEAT rounds on RPG's, and is also a sensible way to model APHE rounds.

As you hinted above, the effect of arty in direct fire seems to be better when Z fired or into another adjacent target, when firing normally the actual target will almost never be hit, but the units in adjacent hexes will be busted up big time. Actually, when trying to hit a tank in direct fires i will often fire at a crew section nearby knowing the blast effect in the adjacent hex will be greater than the direct fire effects in the target hex.

For indirect fires you could do the same thing, except the chance to achieve a direct hit would be determined by the target density and be rather low (tank is maybe a 15 square meter target, in a hex of 1750m/s, so very low chance to direct hit)

This way you could model target scanning munitions as well, just bump up the chance for direct hits in indirect fires.

Last edited by KV7; August 18th, 2010 at 11:47 PM..