View Single Post
Old June 16th, 2008, 04:37 AM

Shrapnel Fanatic

narf poit chez BOOM is on a distinguished road
Default OT: D&D 4e or: Wanna slaughter some minions?

Over the last week, I've found D&D 4e to be fun - I'll even say more fun than 3e. I've been running a solo dungeon for myself and enjoying it - Memory says that my attempt at that with 3e failed miserably.

And I want to GM a game. I'm thinking OpenRPG, time TBD.

[Warning, fanboy ]
I like the cool powers system that means that not only can the combat guys do more than a damage attack, the combat guys can run around the battlefield like a ferret on speed, if they want and be just as combat effective - Or even more effective, with the right powers. One attack? Not with the right powers. Doing just damage? Those powers are in the minority and only there when you need high damage more than, say, knocking some sucker backwards and then following him so you can hit him again.

The wizard does take an adjustment; your powers are now mostly geared towards battlefield control. The cool powers, like Maze, Mordenkainan's Mansion and Meteor Swarm are also still there - Along with some new ones like Elemental Maw.

As for the new classes? Warlock: If the 30th-level 'Hurl through Hell', 'Doom of Delban' or 'Curse of the Dark Delerium' doesn't sounds thematic and cool...Hey, Dire Radiance, Hellish Rebuke, Diabolic Grasp, Curse of the Dark Dream, Dread Star...All first level. All cool.

Warlord? Perfect for leading the charge. Everyone around you gets bonuses if you so much as sneeze.

Cleric? You can heal, you can bash, you can buff, you can shoot, all your area attacks are harmless or even helpful to the party...And you still don't outshine anyone, because you have to cherry-pick your powers.

No Half-orcs, gnomes or your other favorite race? Show me a third-party race for 4e and I'll check it out. And hey, back of the Monster Manual? Gnomes, Bugbears, Doppelgangers, Drow, Githyanki, Githzerai, Gnolls, Goblins, Hobgoblins, Kobolds, Minotaurs, Orcs, Shadar-Kai, Shifters (Two types) and Warforged - Basic stats for using them as PCs. Who says 4e is short on playable races?

Dragonborn? Lost and scattered heirs of an ancient empire, short on survivors but large in honor - And not munchkin at all.

Tieflings? Lost and scattered heirs of the other ancient enemy empire, struggling to survive and without so much as a village to call their own. And, best of all, they didn't nerf the artwork - They actually look part demonic.

Oh and lastly? Rituals - Utility spells that anyone can use - Wizards and Clerics are just better at them. Any character can have magical flavor without multi-classing.
[/fanboy]

Seriously? I think this version is seriously cool, even when I view it objectively. Sure, saving throws seem too simple. Sure, it's more money I've spent. I also miss the lack of cones.

But...I'm having more fun - And hey, house-ruling.

Yes, I am still learning as a GM. If you spot anything to help me improve, please tell me and I'll fix any problems.

The adventure will start in the DMG town of Fallcrest. The tone will be adventure fantasy in the 4e 'Points of Light' world.

Further details if interest is shown.
Sig updated to remove non-working links.