View Single Post
Old February 28th, 2008, 01:41 PM

Lieutenant General

quantum_mechani is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Equipment: which to use and what to avoid?

Quote:
Dedas said:
Quote:
quantum_mechani said:
(assuming base game):

Most all-purpose items:

Luck pendant, frost brand, anti magic amulet, starshine skullcap, boots of flying, charcoal shield, ring of regeneration, marble armor, lifelong protection pact.

Strong Niche:

Reinvig items (especially boots of the messenger), almost anything providing an elemental resist, eye shield, rime hauberk, other luck items, quickness items, horned helmet.

Avoid:

Crystal heart, bear claw talisman, red and blue dragon armor, silver hauberk, crystal shield, hammer of the mountains, bane blades, any whip, evening star, star of heroes, star of thraldom, boots of giant strength.
Star of Heroes is not so bad (at least when playing MA Ulm).

Pros
* +4 attack (against shields +6)
* Destroys all armor except magical)
* Quite good damage (12 + strength)
* One handed and not so long (2) for ambidextrous use
* Cheap 5E (even cheaper for master smiths)

Cons
* -2 defense. But this is not really a con when playing MA Ulm as your defense is abysmal anyway. Just go offense and more armor.
This still does not really stack up even against weapons of sharpness. The destroy armor effect is fun, but anything you are paying to equip should have enough punch to kill most things with non-magical armor in one hit.
Armor piercing is just much more useful against tough opponents than destroying non magical armor and the anti-shield effect, while in most cases the attack bonus is easily canceled by the defense hit. Another good weapon to compare it to is the fire sword, again a trinket, with very similar stats but much easier on the defense.

As for every weapon having a niche, I invite you to compare battle axes and mauls, or short bows and longbows. Unless by niche you simply mean you are often don't have the full selection of weapons available. Or for forgable weapons, take a look at the vine whip, even the star of heroes looks good next to it. I actually agree flails and morning stars have a niche (on troops), but I think such generalizations are just aren't realistic.