View Single Post
Old March 5th, 2017, 09:07 PM

Captain

RecruitMonty is on a distinguished road
Thumbs up Re: Modder's Toolkit?

As the only active "large scale" modder in the WinMBT community at this time (Plasmakrab's project "Cold War 2020" is no longer being developed and a number of the other additional content providers have also ceased their activities), I can say that any accommodation on the part of the developer's is always very greatly appreciated.

After all, not every developer offers practical tools like the shape editor and the MobHack utility (or indeed the many other useful tools, ideal for this sort of work) as standard.

Of course, I don't believe it should be a "one way street". I've always been happy to make useful mod content available for the actual game itself. It is a policy outlined in the mod's readme.

I think the idea of converting some of the existing empty (and likely never to be filled) shape files for turreted vehicles into "tl" and "it" types is a capital idea, btw.

Saves having to code in new ones from scratch, which is a complicated process. I've looked at elements of the game's code myself - with a Hex editor - and I'm amazed that DRG and Andy can make heads or tails of it.

I can't.

Then again, I am computer illiterate .

The "Master Icon List" was indeed quite useful.

Although, in the beginning (2006 or thereabouts was when I started tinkering about), I figured a fair bit out on my own through trial and error.

Making your own .lbms, .wavs and using hexadecimal editors to change national names etc. can be a trial and error process for the uninitiated and computer illiterate.

I've learnt a lot.

I do hope you will, eventually, "feel the love".

Who knows, maybe a couple more "squatters" might crop up. I've even heard tell - somewhere - that it can be a net positive for a game to have an active community of modders.