View Single Post
Old February 20th, 2014, 07:38 AM

Private

iln82 is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Greek OOB error and some omissions

Quote:
Originally Posted by FASTBOAT TOUGH View Post
It seems the M3 Halftrack served with the Greek Army until sometime after the Cold War-this I find interesting.
I don't know what your source for this is, but it's full of BS.The M3 Halftracks were replaced by the M59s in the early 60s. By the time of the 1967 coup, they had all been scrapped.

Quote:
AMX-30 is still around in the upgraded form (Still in the reverves I believe, but on the way out.) of the AMX-30B2.
A number of former Greek Army AMX-30 tanks were supplied to Cyprus in the 90s. The Cypriots upgraded them to AMX-30B2 standards. Remaining AMX tanks were placed in storage.Originally these were to have gone to Cyprus as well, but the Cypriots ordered the T-80s instead. That Army Recognition page that you listed is full of errors. (UR-416 Armoured Cars never operated by the Greek military or Police, AMX-30 tanks & AMX-30D ARVs, M52 SPGs,...etc long withdrawn from service.)

Quote:
Just checked SIPRI.org oldest order they show from U.S. to Greece was for 20 M8 GREYHOUNDs ordered in 1949 and delivered between 1950-1951. So M3 after WWII.
Not just after WWII. AFTER the end of the Civil War. M3 Scout Cars, M24 tanks, M3 Half Tracks, M8 Armoured Cars and the like were supplied under the Mutual Defense Assistance Act beginning in 1950. The Greek Army already operated M8 Armoured Cars supplied by the British. I really don't know why you don't read my post and quote SIPRI instead...

Last edited by iln82; February 20th, 2014 at 07:55 AM..