View Single Post
Old September 5th, 2011, 07:47 PM

First Lieutenant

Bananadine is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Gem Usage in Battle

Quote:
Originally Posted by thejeff View Post
I did extensive testing one this. It is not possible for a self bless to miss. (There's some evidence that long range 100 precision spells can miss, especially with low precision.) If there is no other unit within range, the blesser will always hit himself. Any other unit within range, even enemys or non-sacred units, makes it possible. The spell always hits it's target, but to choose that target the AI simulates casting it on the available targets, then picks the first target that got the best result. Since the AoE spread is random, the actual cast won't hit the same squares and thus maybe not the caster.
That's probably clear as mud, but I'm not sure how to say it better.
I can guess at an exact algorithm based on that, and it isn't what I'd vaguely imagined the actual algorithm probably was... interesting!

Anyway about the missing: I'm like 2/3 sure I've seen a blessing miss, but if you're right then it must have been because there were multiple units present... but surely not many, in fact maybe just two, because if there were many then I'd have expected the spell to miss some, so I wouldn't have been surprised when it did, and I wouldn't remember the incident now! But that's quite possible.

I thought I saw somebody say in some thread, though, that a 100 precision, single-tile spell could still straight-up miss. Like, somebody had seen a mind duel of all things miss, or something like that. I dunno. Of course magic duels tend to happen at much longer ranges than blessings.