Thread: Finnish OOB 5.5
View Single Post
Old January 8th, 2012, 05:17 AM

Sergeant

dmnt is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Finnish OOB 5.5

Quote:
Originally Posted by DRG View Post
I try to endeavor to ONLY add units that make it to the troops that have to use them not the date someone in a factory starts bolting them together. OBVIOUSLY the line can become blurred. "Authoritative" sources do not always differentiate between acceptance, field trial testing and actually issuing them to the troops or sorting out stories from someones second cousins best friend with the drinking problem who swears they were in service at date X.

.......so we do the best we can with the info available
Don
Back from the short holiday trip...

Don, I was hoping for a general guideline on what to report and what to not. I believe it'd help reduce frustration for both players as well as for you when people have some generic idea on the stuff that should be in the OOB. I understand perfectly your point on avoiding going back and forth with the stuff that was supposed to be there but wasn't.

So, if we think of the whole cycle in the FDF point of view:
  • Ordering phase (estimated field date possible)
  • Manufacturing phase (estimation precision improved)
  • First deliveries
  • Acceptance testing
  • Adjustments (with AMOS, took 2-3 years!)
  • More deliveries (accepted tests)
  • Field tests
  • Training for instructors
  • Training for conscripts
  • Removed from peace time service: no more in active use, no training of conscripts
  • Removed from war time service
  • Scrapped/sold

We're currently on item number 8 here. You could say that "ok, we add units typically when they're at point 9, but they can be added at point 7 or 8 if they would be used with high probability in a conflict." Of course there's no point of adding anything at ordering phase as situations can vary and projects be cancelled.

Then to removal, I see that you have put the end dates heavily on the last phase, when it's scrapped and it's 100% certain that no old grunt would propose driving those tanks from the armour museum to the battle field. That's a good line and reasonable and therefore the fights over what should not be available anymore are rare (also; having more choices never limits you, but I digress).

Thanks Pat and Don for your amazing work. People here want to support you, but we need your help to do it so that you feel you've been helped!