View Single Post
Old March 3rd, 2014, 04:13 PM

National Security Advisor

Thanked 1,853 Times in 1,217 Posts
Mobhack is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Steel Panthers Crazy Colors

It worked before on a windows 7 machine - and now does not work on a different windows 7 machine. Therefore something in the setup of the second machine is causing problems.

You'll likely have to play about with its video card, check it has the latest drivers, if it is shared memory have you assigned enough RAM to it? - and so on. See the instruction manual for your video card - we cant drive it from here.

Also, remember that it is the game's executable (WinSPMBT.exe, WinSPWW2.exe)) that you have to set any compatibility modes etc. on - not the gameoptions launcher or the short-cut to the gameoptions launcher!.

If you are trying to play the free demo version on a very large wide-screen monitor, that may also fail as 800x600 does not work on some cards set to extremely large pixel sizes. In that case I have heard that manually setting 800x600 resolution on your desktop and then launching the game may work.

Also - ensure that you don't have the windows taskbar set up to auto-hide. You may also want to make sure you are using the classic XP-style desktop theme as well - on the off chance you have one that does palette rolling, same goes for the mouse, some of these "radar" schemes and other oddities can cause games to have fits (not just this one!). So KISS for the desktop and the mouse schemes and select the classical settings, it may help.

You may also want to check your anti-virus (and other programmes) for pop-up windows or animated icons on the windows information section of the taskbar. Mine (Avast!) has a way to remove these and put it into gaming mode. Until I discovered that option I used to get the occasional psychedelic screen problem. Avast did pop-ups while the game was playing, and it also had a "rotating globe" thing in the info bar, ISTR.

Now it may just be that the video card you had before could handle 256 colour mode, and the new one cannot. In that case - stick to windowed mode, and if you have the full CD version of the game, select "desktop" resolution so it takes the entire desktop.