View Single Post
Old July 20th, 2022, 02:22 PM

National Security Advisor

Thanked 1,853 Times in 1,217 Posts
Mobhack is on a distinguished road
Default Re: A new player wants to share some of his thoughts

The main point is the 1 hex shot at stunned enemy dug-in infantry.

Dug-in infantry won't pull back (usually) like those hit in the open in other battle types, but they do pull back even if dug-in from fire delivered at 1 hex.

Now, if routed and they know that enemy are near (say 3-5 hexes) then some may well retreat out of the trenches instead of simply cowering in the trench if retreat status or worse. But that is a random effect, and so take any that do so as a bonus. Closing to 1 hex and hitting from there is a definite way to eject them from the trench, unless you miss of course..

The fire from 1 hex can be from any unit, a tank say, but generally its best to move up an APC and dismount the grunts to do the close combat job rather than risk a merkava finding an unspotted unit that is still somewhat "frisky" and assaults it or puts an RPG up its kilt. The dismounting grunts may(ie will..) attract fire - if so then remaount if necessary, and deal with the frisky new discovery (you did remember to have several tanks with thermal sights and shots left overwatching the dismounting APC, didn't you? )

Stunning them takes preparation - using both indirect and direct fires. Simply beat them up till when you hover the mouse over the unit (and any others you spotted nearby, naturally!) are in "retreat" state or worse.

To stun them it is best to find them first.

I often recce through my artillery beaten zone using cheap expendable units - like motorcycle scouts. These can zip merrily about through the barraged zone detecting any neutralised enemy units and with luck make it back to the friendly side (so next turns arty rounds wont kill it). If someone takes a potshot then that is extra info for you, as is if they trip a mine. If planning on using that tactic, buy a fair few...

In WW2 games as a Soviet player then a few cavalry scouts can find the enemy MG positions for you. As do motorcyclists. They may actually survive, even if badly chopped up and routing off your map edge. Jeeps also atttract fire, but tend not to survive the experience so well. Other than that - an el-cheapo scout car like a Ferret or an armoured HMMMV can be used to scout through the beaten zones. The HMMV can have a scout team as passenger so it detects the enemy better.

If none of these are to hand then you can dismount an infantry unit some ways in front of the suspected enemy position and see if he takes the bait and fires at them. Hopefully if shot at then they wont be put into retreat and can remount the APC.

And of course if you have an air strike point then buy a little RPAS drone to do the recce, I think those are in the scout helo section. Cheep and cheerful, and any AA fires at them are more info to chew over for you.
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Mobhack For This Useful Post: