View Single Post
Old July 15th, 2010, 09:31 AM

Colonel

Burnsaber is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Mistica: A Magocratic Police State (LE)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stavis_L View Post

As for cheapness, costs are a first stab. However, I was comparing vs. the Oracle (which I consider a default choice for a scales approach), with it hopefully being a slightly better option as a national pretender chassis. Compared to the CBM Oracle, the meaningful comparisons(it seems to me) are:
* +1 starting dom
* additional juggernaut dom spread ability
* -1 astral
* not immobile (although only barely)
* no fortuneteller ability
* much better HP
* somewhat worse protection
* trample (probably only marginally useful given the AP of 4...)
* 2 fewer misc slots
* same new-path cost (40)

Doesn't seem too out there; am I missing other factors that I should be weighing more heavily?
The thing is, he can expand into independents very well. The indy troops cannot deal with 20 prot dude that has over 250+ hp (since he spreads his own dominion, he fights in it quite often). Also the high awe makes it really cheap to buy him awe, which makes him even more indestructible. That's quite a big advantage over Oracle.

Another thing that makes him a excellent expansionist is that he is safe. Some pretenders can get really owned by random indy mages or knights and the like. Not Juggernaut, he just does not care if some damage comes through, it's not like he can get any crippling afflictions (like Chest Wound, arm loss and the like).

I was able to buy him S4, dom9 and still get 6 positive scales. That's probably the cheapest expansion pretender in the history of dom3. Since you don't need a rainbow or a bless, I find that going for the Juggernaut is a bit of no-brainer at the moment. Also, I think he could use some other weapon than fist, it seems really odd.