View Single Post
Old March 11th, 2010, 04:16 PM

General

WraithLord is on a distinguished road
Default Re: New HoF brain storm

KISS.

I don't want XML. I personally don't care much for it. It has it's uses of course but IMO it's useful for higher caliber projects, like defining protocols or modeling etc. For simple game report DB it's a bit more than what's required.

Of course both your ideas can work. They'll require a bit more work than what I had in mind that's all. If anyone wants to bring to the table an end product that does the DB/report generation magic then I'm all for that. Go for it

For now I'll stick with my plan. It's simple to fill (no change to current report). Simple to copy to DB. Simple to export. yata yata.

I appreciate and respect the advice given but I'm not convinced. It's a very small use case and I don't see any need to go overboard.

I want to bring to discussion another aspect. Not technical.
I don't think the current ranking system makes much sense in the way it factors wins against magnitude.
Ex:
player A won 3 games of 6 players each.
player B won 2 games of 20 players each.
The current system would put A above B. I don't think it makes sense. Player B has won much bigger games, defeated more opponents and invested much more time. Am I missing something here?