View Single Post
Old November 12th, 2006, 11:38 AM

Major General

Arralen is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Standard special ability, totally pointless?

Quote:
Meglobob said:
Nice rant Arralen. Hangover? Row with the Mrs?

Several things

Quote:
U give very little in the way of explanation or improved my understanding on this matter.
There isn't much more I can do then ...

Quote:

Arralen says:-
Now, simply assume that the standard boosts the moral of (strenght) number of squares with +(strength) morale each turn, just as if a priest was casting "sermon of courage" - does it still look utterly useless?

I understand that a +10 standard, gives all units in a 10 square radius +1 morale in round 1, then in round 2 its lowered by 1...ie...no more effect whatsoever.
What's so hard to understand about "every turn" ?

Quote:
Of course it can be modded to have a greater effect and is useful as a game mechanic in this way. But without a mod its useless.
In order to make standards useful the, "morale boosted by standards will be lowered by 1 per round", should be simply removed.
Actually, both is not necessary if it works on a per-turn basis.

There are some things I'm not sure about:

- The area of effect. All other effects are measured in "areas of effect" as "squares which are affected", not radius. A +10 standard would effect 10 random squares around the bearer then, not everything within a radius of 10 squares (what would be little bit much with 121 squares, if you think about it)

- The decreasing of its effect over time. IIUC all the morale modifiers from spells (and items/abilities use 'spells' too in terms of game mechanics, AFAIK) are supposed to be temporary. But I've yet to see the morale bonus from "Sermon of Courage" go away again.