View Single Post
Old May 11th, 2012, 02:55 AM

Sergeant

dmnt is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Finnish OOB 6.0

Quote:
Originally Posted by FASTBOAT TOUGH View Post
dnmt,
1. Are the "Jourkkotuotetut" units in your source front line AA units?
Joukko = Mass, troop, group
tuottaa = to produce

Direct translation would be mass produced, but in English it'd make you think of battle droids or something...

Quote:
I assume so, but I could see the ? asked only because my translator(s) didn't translate that word, issue being to clarify that these aren't test and evaluation and or training units. As your source indicates the first units will be equipped through 2013, so wouldn't JAN 2014 be a better compromise date to allow for any delays?
Okay, let me open this up a bit. Finnish troops are trained from conscripts who serve 6, 9 or 12 months depending on assignment. The 2013 will be the first year they finish with the conscripts' training and list the troops in reserve units in their books. So the training will start in 2012 (probably NCOs trained from Jan 2012) and the first troops to get back home will probably be released in the beginning of year 2013 (Like January 4th or something). Usually when equipment gets to the public web page and when conscript training is fixed then the equipment is in use. I remember getting hands dirty on stuff that was yet to come, like night vision equipment and TI equipment in 1999, but it was only on evaluation and not in mass use and never listed in their standard equipment list.

The brigade lists the available positions for conscripts: http://tinyurl.com/c3nl86t
RO, NCO (362 days) and private/lance corporal (180 days)

Note that in Finnish system the RO / NCO are trained for 182 days before the rest of the unit troops arrive so they are all completed at the same time.

Quote:
2. As was transferred from the Patch Post to the SP/SPAA thread Pg. 4 Post #35 Item A2 I was going to address the same issue on FC, VISION and EW. I generally agree with them and wonder the following if the EW would be better at 8(?), Vision 45(?), for the EW issue the network can shutdown once the AIM 120 AMRAAM has detected the target by it's own on board radar system. Also system operability and capabilities will greater as the radars are not as centralized as some other systems now that Finland and Norway are using the improved SENTINAL Radars.
It's hard for me to say anything about the performance, I'm such a novice when it comes to AA troops (tho I applied to get there, but they tried to move me to artillery long way from home and I pulled the "developing athlete, can't leave my team" card and they assigned me to the Guard Jaeger regiment along with other athletes...) that I have absolutely no standing in the performance section, only a gut feeling. I feel that the values given by you could be correct.

Quote:
3. See the April 1/11 note under the "Contract" section the SISU 8x8will be the main platform while the SISU 4x4 will act in the supply and support roles. The same info is in the SISU refs posted with the above mentioned Item A2. This why I only submitted the 8x8 and that as I well know you're aware of (That's a compliment.) the same thing as I concerning the general feeling about support vehicles i.e. radars and such and dare I say trucks in general as the "great" truck debate went on for a very short time around the time this was submitted in the PP Thread.
This could be correct.
http://tinyurl.com/bt6xnfz shows the platform on 8x8, but the text goes "jota voidaan kuljettaa millä tahansa vaatimukset täyttävällä ja koukkulaitteella varustetulla kuorma-autolla.": "which can be transported with any truck that fulfills the requirements and has a pulling hook device (for which I don't know proper English term)." Requirement is to be able to carry 7200 kg.

4x4 is pretty much on the limit, so I think it is out. The 4x4 might refer to other parts as you said. 6x6 could be used, but I think for the time we should stick to 8x8, as there are at least some proof that it's used. http://www.sisudefence.fi/sites/defa.../public/83.jpg

Thanks for your input!
The Following User Says Thank You to dmnt For This Useful Post: