View Single Post
Old June 27th, 2009, 11:05 PM

General

capnq is on a distinguished road
Default Re: OT: Bible Discussion (Split from Real World Sensitivities)

This thread is itself evidence for the resurrection of the dead. ;-)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Imp View Post
Even if you ignore all this there is one more problem, the saying "(absolute) power corrupts" seems to hold true. People with power seem to lose some morals.
From the science fiction novel "The Postman":
Quote:
Originally Posted by David Brin
It's said that 'power corrupts', but actually it's more true that power attracts the corruptible. The sane are usually attracted by other things than power. When they do act, they think of it as service, which has limits. The tyrant, though, seeks mastery, for which he is insatiable, implacable.
(BTW, the book regarded far better than Costner's movie; I haven't seen the movie, but the original novella was pretty good.)
Quote:
With that in mind even if I am wrong & the bible did not get lost in translation by accident can you trust these guys interpritation on it.
One of the fundamental tenants of Protestantism (or at least Lutheranism, which is my own faith) is that the Holy Spirit assists the believer in interpreting the Scripture. One does not have to rely upon a professionally trained intermediary such as a priest to learn from it.

(That still doesn't guarantee that the believer will always interpret it correctly, though.)

"Good morning, Pooh Bear," said Eeyore gloomily. "If it is a good morning," he said. "Which I doubt," said he.