Thread: Tannenberg Line
View Single Post
Old July 2nd, 2020, 03:27 PM

Captain

wulfir is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Tannenberg Line

Quote:
Originally Posted by DRG View Post
...and tossing in panthers and 94 APC's would mean having to give the Russians more to maintain the balance and they are only 90 units from the max and then you have a monster NOBODY wants to play.
I for one like to play monsters.

The games I set up for myself are usually max size maps, maxed out numbers of units...hehe...

But, I suspect the bulk of Nordland's APCs belonged to its armoured recce bn - which was detached from the division at the time set for the scenario (it was not even in Estonia when the Russian attack at the Blue Mountains kicked off).

The Swedish version of Willhelm Tieke's Tragödie um die Treue (Tragedy of the Faithful) claims that StG 44 began arriving for use by the III. SS Pz-Korps by late summer 1944 - and that it was in use in the field between July 44 and May 45 - (that could I guess mean a general sort of use not necessarily by Nordland units but it doesn't seem to be much of a stretch including them in the scenario IMHO).

Some use of SS Infanterie units certainly seems motivated given the concentration of infantry from the 20. Waffen-Grenadier-Division der SS that was present in the fighting...