View Single Post
Old July 2nd, 2011, 05:44 PM

First Lieutenant

Roman is on a distinguished road
Default Re: My case for can Venezuela get in before 2020?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marcello View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by FASTBOAT TOUGH View Post
Hugo Chavez is a loose cannon and with him building a missile base capable of launching Iranian missiles that can reach S. Florida and getting a nuke reactor also from them (And I believe the first nuke power on the continent.) it makes for an interesting situation.
Chavez might be something of a loose cannon and may eventually go down the route of president for life (which however given his health conditions might not last that long). Still nowhere in the same league of a R�*os Montt, Jorge Videla, Somoza and others south american politicians who make or have made Mussolini look like Mother Theresa of Calcutta.
As for nuclear power both Argentina and Brazil have nuclear power plants, the latter has done considerable work on uranium enrichment (they even got in some hot water with the IAEA over inspection at the Resende plant) and has been flirting with the idea of building a SSN.
About he missile base, all I have heard of is a newspaper article talking about plans to build such. Even assuming it is not a figment of somebody's imagination (or plain cheap disinfo) and it is indeed being seriously planned it remains to be see whether it will actually go throught as such as scheme can easily flounder for a couple of dozens of reasons.
Dictators who you appoint as Videla was supported by the U.S. government Kissinger in particular. It is no coincidence that there were several dictatorships in Latin America between 60 and 80.
I do not defend Chavez, I do not advocate their methods. But do not be so innocent about U.S. foreign policy. It would be suicide to want to compete against the big nuclear powers.

Pd: U.S. attacked Iraq to destroy weapons of mass destruction. But they found nothing. Hope you do not want to do the same against Latin American countries.
I regret having to discuss policy issues in the forum of a game, but I did not start.
Regards