View Single Post
Old May 3rd, 2022, 10:56 AM

National Security Advisor

Thanked 1,853 Times in 1,217 Posts
Mobhack is on a distinguished road
Default Re: 4K and large monitors

Quote:
Jim Worth
I sent him a few OOB requests back in the day when SP2 came out.

SSI had decided that every British AFV had to have the "FV" numbers as part of thier name. presumably because they were used to the USA using M113, M60 etc. Whereas we Brits never, ever used the FV numbers barring the FV432, because our American allies sniggered at its given name of "Trojan", I believe, why IDK! Also for the M109 and other USA supplied SP-arty. But for vehicles the "proper" name was always used. "Chieftain", "Fox" etc.

As one of the Permanent Staff Instructors told us back when I was in the TA, "Them numbers are for shiny-trousered stores clerks, train spotters and sad anoracks. This is called an SLR, not a f~~g L1A1". Followed by me doing three laps running round the drill hall with weapon held over my head shouting out "This is my rifle, This is my SLR!" or some such pithy phrase the PSI desired to get the point across.

So I requested a change from Jim Worth - but that never happened. I think SP2 got 1 or maybe 2 bug fixes. (One allowed PBEM replay if you had 1 MB(?) of memory, a huge amount then!). OOB data was not part of that IIRC.

Someone - forget who - had done an OOB editor for SP1, I contacted him to see if he was planning on making an SP2 one, but he wasn't interested. However he did pass onto me the offsets to the various data fields, and I used that for Kobhack, my SP2 OOB editor. Now I had UK OOBs with "Chieftain Mk 1" and no silly FV-numbers and "SLR" instead of "L1A1"!

My work on the editor got me an invite to be on the playtest team for SP3. I thinks I made an OOB editor for that game, but cannot recall. SP3 was not very good, I knew that from playtesting, and it seemed not to sell very well. Didn't stay on my HDD long after the release.