View Single Post
Old March 2nd, 2012, 08:26 PM

Private

Campaigner is on a distinguished road
Talking Re: Why can't you ever make a fantasy TBS with modern graphics and UI ?

Annette,

I choosed between this and Shrapnel General. I thought this belonged in Shrapnel General.
I can imagine the response I'd get if I post there. Guess I have to try ^^

Edi,

I remember that Illwinter was two guys but didn't know if they STILL were only two guys.
I thought they could just buy an engine and have much of the work already done. I know there are soundlibraries to use freely, perhaps there are graphicslibraries as well.
Anyway, they should have gotten some help with the graphics.

I'll give you that the units (when not moving) can be considered equal to AoW.
Mods shouldn't be needed to make the graphics better :/

Yes, hexes are superior to squares.
With hexes, the distance to surrounding hexes are constant. With squares, it's not.
And hexes looks better. AoW f.e.

Yeah I figured the combat was a designdecision. I suspect it's due to not needing much animations that way
And it better be an upgrade to an 15 year old game!
I've tried the AoW FC but never really analyzed it.

Soyweiser,

Don't worry. I won't. I want to actually USE my GTX 570

Yes, in CoE III it's clearly defined but looks really, friggin bad for a game in 2012(!)
Sometimes in AoW you might not notice a unit if you just glance at the map or if it blends in with the background (free camoflague! ).
It should have had an option to highlight units in some way, I'll give you that.

Quote:
All that graphical eye candy does one other thing, it needlessly increases specs for users. Not all gamers have high end computers you know. (It also makes it a lot more difficult to port games to mac/linux/unix).
'Needlessly' you say....Ok, if you don't value immersion then so be it.

You serious..? "highend computer" to run AoW:SM..? It was released in 2003 or so and will most likely run perfectly at the mainsteam models of two older generation of graphicscards! (I'm a computerenthusiast)
If that's a 'highend computer' to you then it's seriously time to upgrade!

As for porting, Unix and Linux don't have enough players to make it worthwhile (Stardock says this).
Mac, I don't know. Was gonna say that Blizzard doesn't seem to have problems to port games to it but then again they got some more resources than most companies

I don't wanna play the AoW series any more (in SP atleast). Its combatmechanics are flawed, the AI isn't good enough and you can get to highend units FAR too quickly.

Gandalf,

I want fantasy TBS games with depth but also great graphics and UI.
Compared to CoE III, AoW lacks AI, some depth and you also can train tier 2 & 3 units FAR too quickly. In CoE III you can't get Swordsmen until like 5 turns into the game and Heavy Infantry until 20 turns or so.
Then the big guys (Demon Lords) aren't safe to get until 100 turns.

So basically I want 'my ultimate fantasy TBS game' but every single game so far lacks major things. And with CoE III I got a bit frustrated that Illwinter is STILL doing these types of games I don't enjoy.

Edit: LOL! Was it you Soyweiser that added that tag?? Ah man

Last edited by Campaigner; March 2nd, 2012 at 08:34 PM.. Reason: Folk behöver sättas på plats