Thread: Polish OOB 5.5
View Single Post
Old January 13th, 2012, 06:50 AM

Captain

Marcello is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Polish OOB 5.5

Quote:
004 TO-54, 007 TO-55, 021 TO-34 - should be removed with corresponding formation 11. Poland never had flame tanks (TO-54 and TO-55 were non-numerous variants BTW).
If you have a source clarifying the export or lack thereof of the flamethrowr variants, it is going to be worth its weight in gold.

Quote:
Heat ammo was never such numerous in Soviet tanks, at least early ones (now: 15 HE, 15 AP, 13 Heat). I suggest 20 HE, 15 AP, 8 Heat as closer to truth.
HEAT issue varied widely across countries, years and situation. There is nothing wrong with a lowish HEAT loadout if no info is available, since HEAT was indeed expensive and often issued in limited quantities, but it should be noted that as far the T-54/55 are concerned BK-5/BK-5M was for a long time the only ammo that stood a chance to penetrate postwar western MBTs head on; as such there was an incentive to increase it.

Quote:
There should be no Heat - spinless 3BK5 was introduced in the USSR only in 1961 (I suspect, that in Poland a couple years later), and there was no earlier Heat round for D-10 gun mentioned in Russian sources. In Tekhnika i Vooruzhenie 10/2008 monograph on T-54 there is ammo for T-54A quoted: 20 HE, 14 AP.
BK-5 may have been available since 1958 to USSR. Yugoslavia supposedly did get some in 1961.