View Single Post
Old December 13th, 2021, 11:10 PM

Lieutenant General

Thanked 1,237 Times in 925 Posts
FASTBOAT TOUGH is on a distinguished road
Fallout Re: Jets & Planes but no UAV's here.

Though I hope the following will finally get these jets inline to the "real world" I remain pessimistically/optimistic this might finally happen because, there is no more guessing to disrupt that thought process.

We have finally, an FOC date, with cavoites, but none the less an FOC date from NAVAIR for one variant but also for only one service.

By now most will know I'm speaking of the F-35. Specifically, the USMC F-35C. I don't know for how many years I've been saying the CORPS would reach that milestone first.

So...
USMC/CHANGE/F-35C/UNITS 584 & 585/START/JUL 2021 vice JAN 2023//
With this OFFICIAL announcement, this now throws all other F-35 start dates "out the window" the wait period is now over with this news coming from NAVAIR and after linking to F-35 LIGHTNING II JOINT PROGRAM OFFICE.
https://www.navair.navy.mil/
(Click on Fixed Wing>F-35)
https://www.jsf.mil/news

From the ref below...
"The Marine Corps has been first to reach a number of F-35 milestones, but unlike the F-35C variant, its sibling F-35B model has yet to reach full operational capability. Each service sets its own requirements for operational capability based on a number of factors, including the level of training personnel receive and the number of squadrons flying the aircraft."
https://www.military.com/daily-news/...rtime-use.html
(As linked to from NAVAIR and JSF sites as above.)

This following gives some prospective from BOTH the USN and USAF from the ref below these...
"By 2025, the Navy will have solved its strike fighter shortfall in part by changing how it will field the F-35C Lighting II Joint Strike Fighter. Instead of two squadrons per air wing with 10 tails, the Navy will now field a single squadron with 14 tails, Rear Adm. Andrew Loiselle, director of the Air Warfare Division (OPNAV/N98), told the House Armed Services subcommittee on tactical air and land forces on Tuesday. testified it was reducing F-35C Lightning II Joint Strike Fight from two to one squadron per air wing."

USAF...
Looking at the F-35’s impact on the Air Force, Lt. Gen. David Nahom, deputy chief of staff for plans and programs, said, “we’re paying for outstanding but not getting outstanding. ” Today and in the immediate future, “we’re filling in the holes with F-16s and A-10s.”
https://news.usni.org/2021/07/14/nav...rtfall-by-2025

The article above encapsulates all the issues I've brought up about the F-35. It also admits finally that foreign competition is also delaying the F-35A, F-35C USN and F-35B.

So how did the USMC get theirs to FOC? Two factors their F/A-18C/D jets are older and PLAN 2030. They also only require 68 aircraft to fulfill their mission requirements. Because of this they ca keep them reengined (As I've posted) during the engine shortage that will continue through 2025. F-55B engines are still be tested through mid 2022 if all goes well.

My thoughts for the rest and based on current refs (And an officer I know currently assigned to a carrier.) and everything else I've posted, are F-35A & F-35C based on earliest dates AND the fact they both have contracts running through the middle of 2024+ for SYSTEM/HARDWARD upgrades and retrofits are
START OCT 2024 and based more on the contracts JAN 2025.

I feel there's a reasonable expectation that the F-35B and pending the engine testing results, I see START APR 2023 to OCT 2023.

I will either eat "humble pie" or "gloat" (Without malicious aspect to it.) more than likely however I'll just appreciate getting this as close to right after so many years of dealing with this.

If anything, if more is required I can with what I have "drop a ref bomb" but everything to date posted provides a base for what's and what I still have.

I think with the FOC reached for the USMC F-35C that we should move forward. As a player after a Patch Post said, and I paraphrase, He grew tired of playing against INDIA as the AI was using T-90MS tanks regularly against him knowing they didn't have them yet.

I believe I submitted a date that pushed the FOC out about 3-4 years.

I wonder how many feel the same with the F-35 beating them up with SAM assets which might prove ineffective against a jet that's not at FOC except as noted? Many countries have updated their SAM systems to counter this (i.e., TURKEY FOC S-400. ) "[b] future" threat. Another area to be addressed at some point.

Regards,
Pat

"Ex communi periculo, fraternitas" - My career long mentor and current friend -QMCM/SS M. Moher USN Ret..

Last edited by FASTBOAT TOUGH; December 14th, 2021 at 02:31 PM..