View Single Post
Old February 10th, 2009, 11:06 AM

BANNED USER

chrispedersen is on a distinguished road
Default Re: MA Mictlan - An Introduction

Quote:
Originally Posted by AreaOfEffect View Post
Interesting. I would never play this way personally. Mostly because I don't like having a bunch of Mictlan Priests who are practically useless to me when it comes to combat.

I find the the Nahualli, even with less research, is more dangerous and very versatile. There mobility is also a very big plus for me. It allows them to deploy, win, and comeback home easily. I also favor taking more reliable scales, like order, and just spend more money on better mage-priests.

When I get the time I might write up a guide for the Mictlan I would play if forced into a game right now. I've already used this Mictlan in MP and it can be very effective. It also would surprise a lot of people out there, while the Fire-Water bless is highly predictable and susceptible to known counters.

Still, I like your shrewd approach. Granted, having scales on might make you a target, but it might also make you one of those, "I'll deal with them later" factions who creep along the game being unchecked because they have a good bless, powerful research, and perhaps some good diplomacy.
Thanks!

Yeah, I actually *really* liked your comment about the nahuli flying turkey. And some of those tactics you mentioned are ones I really should incorporate in my game play.

The problem I have with a nahuli is that I never really know what to do with a S/N mage in middle age. To me, they always scream: Horror mark/ curse.. which is a tactic better suited early and late. Now they are still fodder for communions - but so are what quarter/half? (B/S randoms?) of mictlan priests. And jags don't *need* mage support to slaughter elephants.

14 jags and two priests 470 gp - will easily handle 4 elephants and random commander.

Mictlan priests - early middle AND late are my top 3 favorite units in the game.

Great Blood hunter - or great magic diversity.
Great Researcher
GREAT Bless Platform
Great Lab builder (ME)/Great Temple Builder
Great Communion Fodder

And on top of that - they can blood hunt, and blood sacrifice as well (EA, LA).

And they have one other feature I really, really like: Low opportunity cost. With a pretender or high cost mage unit - you're always debating alternatives. The cost of a mictlan priest is so small, you can afford him to enter that tiny strange hut - you can afford him to site search - sure theres not much chance - but there's also not much risk - and if it can save you from having a higher cost mage do it - its probably worth it.