View Single Post
Old September 12th, 2012, 10:15 AM

Sergeant

Oche is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Cold War scenarios pre 1980

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aeraaa View Post
This is a question I've always had in my mind when I started playing post WW2 games. Why all hypothetical cold war games/scenarios/books whatever always are about a conflict set in the 80ies? Is it because the OOBs are more detailed in this period? Is it because the coolest equipment starts around then? Is it because there's a greater chance that the war will remain conventional? Whatever the reasons are I find it weird that the early Cold War period is rarely touched and I must say it's actually my favourite period to see hypothetical scenarios. The main reason for that is because this era seems like a mixture of WW2 armies trying to cope with new emerging technology. You can find the odd T34 facing ATGMs for example. Mass artillery and infantry trying to break entrenched enemies only to be repelled by the recently fielded main battle tanks. Not every army is fully mechanised at that point, so you can still find large formations. On the other hand, 80ies scenarios look a lot like modern era ones, it's just that the Soviets were a more worthy opponent for a conventional war. Your thoughts about that?

PS: I'm not sure my post actually belongs to that subforum, so feel free to move it if you think otherwise...
I agree, most cold war scenarios are set in the 80s, but my favorite period for hypothetical scenarios is 50-70s too. I think that people tend to choose the 80s and onwards because of the equipment that rolls in that period rather than the detailed OOBs. This game engine provides so much field to create such scenarios that replay value must be unlimited. It provides the opportunity of "simulating" almost any conflict. I still plan to create myself many more cold war scenarios (and expect to see others too ) between those time periods, but normal life interfers with my long Steel Panthers experience. Best wargame series ever.