View Single Post
Old May 10th, 2022, 06:25 PM

Lieutenant General

Thanked 1,237 Times in 925 Posts
FASTBOAT TOUGH is on a distinguished road
Fallout Re: SP and SPAA Developments

"The M777 requires three minutes to emplace, and two to three minutes to displace. The maximum rate of fire for the M777 is 4 rounds per minute for up to 2 minutes; the sustained rate of fire is 2 rounds per minute."

"Indirect fire for the M777A1 and A2 is usually aimed using the digital fire control system. It provides rapid and accurate ballistic computation, navigation, pointing, and self-location capabilities, which allows the M777A1/A2 to perform effective fire missions rapidly, reducing the amount of time it must be emplaced in a given location. "

Using "military" GPS you're talking about a 2-3 seconds or less for target reacquisition time provided the target is still being "lased" and for the piece to reposition itself. So, assume 3 minutes to displace/+ ~2-3 minutes to move at least 100 meters or more based on terrain/+ 3 minutes to emplace.

So about 8-9 minutes. Real world we'd be using Counter Battery Jamming equipment, so you might not have to move right away, which the player can also chose to do with them on the map. And off map doesn't "shoot and scoot" anyway.

Again, from and in paras 14 & 15 ...
http://www.military-today.com/artillery/m777.htm

I'll see if I can find something from the army side.

It is worth noting...
"A crew of 8 is required to operate the M777 normally. It can also be operated by as few as 5 men in an emergency, but with a significantly reduced rate of fire. Some publications have stated that the ability of the M777 to be fired by only 5 personnel is unprecedented for a 155 mm howitzer, but the preceding M198 could also be operated as such. "

I'm hopefully going to relax the rest of this evening and enjoy my bonus night with you know who after of course a relaxing walk.

Regards,
Pat

"Ex communi periculo, fraternitas" - My career long mentor and current friend -QMCM/SS M. Moher USN Ret..

Last edited by FASTBOAT TOUGH; May 10th, 2022 at 06:34 PM..
The Following User Says Thank You to FASTBOAT TOUGH For This Useful Post: