View Single Post
Old February 20th, 2013, 11:32 AM

Corporal

SsSam is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Why do you play dominions?

I'm known on another forum by a different handle. I used this handle here instead of the other one because I didn't want my enemies to know I was asking for advice/help. So, I guess winning means something.

That said if you play 8 person games. You're doing pretty well if you win two or three of those, which means you'll lose a lot. And when you play against folks who are just plain better than you are ...well, you will lose even more. That's tough when a pbem game can take 3-4 months or longer.

Just about everywhere players limit some behaviors as nuisance behaviors. I shouldn't send you slave collars or a bunch of slave collars to fill up your inventory. I shouldn't attack with scouts set to run away in order to try and slow down your main army. And of course the big no-no no metagaming. So, it isn't always just about the winning, but about the experience.

FWIW I do still enjoy solo games. By playing with the number of nations, semirand and the noindy modes I can create challenge situations.

I found when I was starting out that I often had other goals than winning simply because everybody else in the field knew more about the game than I did. Lasting to turn 24. Executing a Rush even if I knew it was going to end badly as everybody else ganged up on me. Lasting to the end of the game in a 7 players take 4 capitols game. Those are specific mini-goals that make sense for somebody who is learning. Of course, if you are can last to the end of the game....You need to work on developing end game strategies that will put you over the top.