View Single Post
Old July 12th, 2010, 10:36 AM

Shrapnel Fanatic

Gandalf Parker is on a distinguished road
Default Re: problem with Dom3Minions server

POWER GRID BLINKED again
It appears that summer brownouts might not be unusual this year. Blame global warming.
Domains and Emails restored :within 5 minutes
Worlds and MUDs restored: within 10 minutes
Dominions 3 personal games: 19 of them, within 15 minutes
Dominions 3 quicky open games: 72 of them, still happening. Ive decided to wait an hour. There are so many games on 24 hour timers that I dont want the great big personal games trying to host at the same time that 50 quicky games are hosting. So Im afraid that the little quicky games will have to wait before I start restarting them.

This is one of the few real benefits of pbem games. Most apparent benefits are just differences between what the most common pbem server (LLamaServer.net) and the most common direct-connect server (Dom3Minions.com) choose to make available. Very few are actually differences in what can be done in direct or pbem.

But this is one. Since the pbems dont run continually the fact that the server reboots is not the same impact on timers. But if direct connect game are on times like --hours 24 which are very popular, then restarting the server also restarts the timers. Fixing the times is a major pain.

ON THE OTHER HAND, if any of the hosted games on Dom3minions would like to make use of the other timer functions that the game supports then I would be grateful. Something like Sun, Wed, Fri at 1am? The pro is that it is not susceptable to these timer changes, and easier to schedule around other heavy-load server actions. The con is that it does not play well with quickhost