View Single Post
Old September 13th, 2010, 10:25 AM

Second Lieutenant

B0rsuk is on a distinguished road
Default Re: OT: Master of Magic unofficial patch v1.40f

Quote:
Originally Posted by Finalgenesis View Post
Human Paladins > All, it's pretty easy to survive (or prosper even, with a little luck) until you can produce them in impossible difficulty. Throw in warlord and/or life magic if you enjoy even more overkill.
This strategy is countered easily by a moron with Cracks Call :P. And even before the unnoficial patch AI loved the spell. It doesn't care about immunity - it affects the earth below your unit. I used to hate the spell because I was fixated on trying to tech to some imba units.

And once you'll get the brilliant idea to cast Flight on them, and Spell Lock... you'll discover the Web spell :P. It also doesn't care about immunity, it's a physical web. The more life enchantments you stack on the paladins, the more AI will laugh at you.

There might be a counter to this: Wraithform. But that's a high-level Death spell so you must abandon Life to access it.

------------

Speaking of Impossible, I like to take some race with average units, take Mana Leak and Counter Magic. If you use a spellcasting hero you can get both out in the first turn. Most of the time AI won't be able to cast anything, and - this is wonderful - enemy shamans will only fire two volleys before going silent. AI loves shamans. And another nice little spell: Resist Elements. It adds +3 to resistance against elemental spells and magical ranged attacks.

So no, it's not just big overpowered units and spells. You can peform the above strategy with gnolls. Gnolls actually have one of best rushing units: Wolf Riders. They are pretty tough if unsophisticated, only require Stables (Granary>Stables>Wolf Rider, Wolf Rider, Wolf Rider...). But they have THREE movement points. Put them on a road or use Pathfinding spell and it's like you're on Myrror.

Barbarians are also surprisingly good. I once made a point to win by knowing as few spells as possible. I ended up with Barbarians, Warlord and some other minor stuff. And guess what ? Barbarians destroy all opposition before AI can build up. Rush with swordsmen.

Invisible flying warships: should be harder now that AI's ranged units with Illusion Immunity can shoot invisible targets. Shadow Demons.

==============

I wonder how would Master of Magic play like if you could research any of the 5 colors like in Dominions 3. And if the 6th "color" was Construction...