View Single Post
Old March 25th, 2022, 12:11 PM

Private

Indigo121 is on a distinguished road
Default How to assault an enemy unit?

I'm new to this game, I'm playing against the AI, and what I'm seeing so far is that defending units always shoot first, and what happens often is this scenario:

I know there is an enemy unit in some hex, but I don't have LOS to it. So I move the unit towards it (one hex at a time, if that makes a difference?) but the moment I get into LOS the enemy shoots my unit, often inflicting heavy damage and making it retreat.

I can use smoke but that just postpones the moment I need to get into the LOS, and I can't shoot with Z blind fire because, again, I don't have a LOS. I can use artillery but that takes forever and is usually ineffective.

It feels like there is some ultra punishing ambush mechanic in every engagement in the game. Surely in a battlefield units communicate and the attacking unit can know there is an enemy there if the HQ sees it?

Maybe I should disable Op fire in the options? Is that relevant? I don't want to lose realism, but it's getting frustrating. Even if my infantry unit gets inside a building from the safe side, I still get hammered. Is there a way to maybe edit or tone down the ambush mechanics?

Thanks