View Single Post
Old August 20th, 2022, 02:16 PM

National Security Advisor

Thanked 1,855 Times in 1,219 Posts
Mobhack is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Just rebooted this game and wow!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dion View Post
"WOW!" is a common commit among players that have returned to the game. I myself haven't played in quite awhile, looking forward to playing again. I took a leave of absence for almost a year because my computer broke down. Not only that but I got sick of the cheating A/I. I thought the A/I was pretty good until it started cheating. Probably wasn't the poor old A/I's fault, it was probably poor sportsmanship on my part.
I have been playing as well as coding the games for 20+ odd years now, and so would by now have twigged any such cheat code if it existed.

Now the original MSDOS SSI code (SP1, 2 and so on) acually did have a little cheat for the AI artillery, which we found and deleted. That cheat code would teleport artillery strikes to a slightly "better" impact zone much nearer your troops if they were spotted by it and the arty was about to fall nearby but not quite near enough. Again, all gone now in our games since we got rid of that original bit of SSI DOS code ages ago.

Additionally, the SSI code used your actual troop positions as a hint matrix for plotting any pre-game stonks, so those tended to land mostly inside or nearby the area you had deployed inside (and yes, having everyone sitting at say the South of the map with a spotter waay off in the North, totally messed with that algorithm!). Not there now, our AI plot uses randomness and things like road junctions, objective hexes and the intended assault axis of advance etc in its arty plotting and has since we got the DOS code and found that and culled it.

There was also a bit of code in the AI routines which it used to decide things like whether to drop off its passengers, or maybe to stop for now based on nearness of enemy units. That worked even on non-spotted enemy, but not now - it only responds based on known enemy units nearby. No more "AI spidey sense"!

And finally The old SSI AI buy routine bought some troops for the AI that came for free (but would be worth VP if killed of course) - typically a mortar and an AA/SPAA section, not much but the old SSI games were only 100 units each or whatever. Now replaced naturally, the AI only has the correct points to spend in our versions of the games.

So - what exactly are these "cheats" the AI allegedly does?

I'd really like to know, so it could be addressed, if real.
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Mobhack For This Useful Post: