Thread: Promotions?
View Single Post
Old October 3rd, 2022, 04:53 PM

National Security Advisor

Thanked 1,855 Times in 1,219 Posts
Mobhack is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Promotions?

EXP is the main thing that effects the game and you already get a notice at the end of a campaign game if a unit levels up to average, veteran etc.

(Units gain morale and rally stats as they progress along a campaign as well, and sometiimes a "promotion in rank" if a leader (0 unit) say from sgt to lt. - but that rank is just another string, and it has no outward effect. Just means he has survived a while!. But all that is done silently bar the level ups in EXP. You would need to examine each and every unit's stats page and keep your own paper records if that was your "thing".

A special battle gives you one more battle in the series, played at the last batloc - so your units can gain a bit more exp as the campaign has now added 1 more battle to do so in. Special battles may hand out the "cookies" less stingily as well (i.e. you get a %age more EXP earned). Been twenty years since I ever played one, and likely as long since I looked at the SSI code (if ever).

But I do not like to play with a damaged force, so I avoid. If there is a choice then I skip it, if it is mandatory then I go to the next game point at which I can exit and then reload the save I took at last battle's end.
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Mobhack For This Useful Post: