View Single Post
Old May 23rd, 2006, 08:06 PM

Sergeant

Charles22 is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Would like to see?

Well I'm glad to see that you actually meant what you were saying as opposed to just mis-speaking. Yeah, a game like that might be pretty interesting, but if it's the lack of knowing where he will strike syndrome that you're looking at, that can largely be accomplished through things as they are. The scatter-shot VP's make knowing the angle of attack not easy to figure out. To top that all off you can place those VP's anywhere you want, if for instance you wish to achieve such a spread where he can't possibly defend them all very well.

One last factor weighing against your idea is the historical factor. While it's true the enemy won't know in most cases where the attacker will strike, the attacker has a point where he himself knows where he will. Now you might say, well, yeah, the attacker would know this when he deploys, but he deploys when he knows what he wants. This is rather complicated by the fact that I don't know who the VP's are for really. I mean, does the attacker consider them important or the defender? Whoever it is, the problem is you don't fight that way. You don't say let's randomly defend or attack this area because all this land is equally worthless. You have at least some sort of tactical advantage you're trying to leverage, if not an operational or strategic one as well.

Thinking about it that way shows it's somewhat nonsensical going the whole route that way. What I would suggest is a variation off that theme. Instead of everything being unknown, only a small portion of them would change. IOW position 03,05 might change to 03,10 at sometime in the game. In that sort of situation you could simulate something like a stealthy partisan band that is moving from one place to the other destroying something, and you keeping of that keep them from doing further damage. You wouldn't lose points for their damaging some imaginary something, but you would get the VP's as usual.

You know, that's a pretty hyp idea. Say for instance that you're 20 turns deep into your assault and suddenly one or more of the hexes you might comtrol (which you took from the enemy) shift to way behind your lines? This not only would make it more realistic in that you couldn't throw everything into the attack, but it would allow for something of the unknown factor that you're driving at.