Thread: Ship Talk
View Single Post
Old March 27th, 2010, 08:32 PM

Sergeant

jars_u is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Ship Talk

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xrati View Post
...Especially when you have to design them. You start the game with "maybe" some default ships and then spend the rest of your time designing them! No fun there...KISS rules are now in effect...
I'll start by saying again that I certainly both understand and appreciate the need to balance things for the sake of game play/fun/entertainment and certainly KISS rules play a part of that.

But I totally disagree in the respect that designing ships is no fun. While combat is only 1 of the big 4 "eXplore, eXpand, eXploit, and eXterminate" - to me the other three only prop up my ability with technology and resources to better blow things up with. Yes, Virginia there is a Santa Claus - and I am biased towards the one that packs heat.

Ship design was always one of my most favorite aspects of SE4 and most certainly of SE5 - what I did find to be lacking in fun area was the management of both ships and ships designs (upgrades) which could use some KISS treatment.

Speaking only in the sense of general game play ideas and pipe dream wants I would like to see capital ships take a much larger significance (firing arcs being a portion of that) and be far fewer in number then normally portrayed in most games - making both ship design and smaller ships more critical to game play.