View Single Post
Old April 9th, 2012, 01:15 PM

Second Lieutenant

elmokki is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Conquest of Elysium 3 dev log

I hestitated buying CoE3 for long since I expected it to be crap. Then I figured that since some people at least seem to really like it I'll buy it.

What I expected was a lightweight, somewhat Age of Wonders or Heroes of Might and Magic style game. That implies having turns quick and still having enough character development and tactics and whatnot for it to feel meaningful.

CoE3 IS somwhat like AoW or HoMM series and the varying characters are a cool idea. That's where it ends. There's absolutely no depth in any part of the game to make playing it feel like fun. Even just small things like a bit of control to what your troops do to combat (I personally liked the Dominions 3 scripts and combat, but that may be too cumbersome even with the vastly lower numbers of units and commanders) and more character development so it feels more like a strategy role playing game would go a long way already.

When you add into the lack of depth a huge very often game crippling or game winning luck element you've made a game which is very comparable to monopoly, it's really even worse. You don't have very meaningful choices and you luck is the primary thing affecting your success. If you can compare a game to Monopoly like that, the game is probably bad.

It's not a dissapointment since I assumed it to be streamlined Dominions 3, it's a dissapointment because it's just plain bad.

Last edited by elmokki; April 9th, 2012 at 01:28 PM..