Thread: Scenarios
View Single Post
Old July 8th, 2009, 09:19 AM

Captain

LDiCesare is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Scenarios

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sombre View Post
If you run a mod with the scenario game (in MP) you can effectively add messages and more gamesmastery type effects by modding units, spells etc. For example you could say the first person to conquer a certain province gets +1 fire magic on all their commanders, or you could have a monolith style unit in each person's starting province with a desription that changed to give messages from the Pantokrator. Stuff like that is technically easy, but would be a bit fiddly for the DM/GM/Admin/Host.
I think it's more or less viable but deciding on what kind of in-game condition has what effect requires the GM to be able to see what the players do. Or you can just take the game out of their hands. In fact I'm doing something remotely like that over there: http://forums.civfanatics.com/showthread.php?t=323730
I actually mod units and plan battle orders based on what the players tell me to do and hope some of them will be creative enough that they design new spells. It allows to do some funky stuff like dismounting your light cavalry and using them as archers for a battle, that I can't see how one could do in-game (if you have 2 armies, one where you want your archers on foot and the other where you want them mounted for instance). Also a way of getting the light cavalry to actually be useful by splitting real battles into several phases.

However none of that can help if you want a SP scenario, which is a pity, since simply getting a text telling you to change the mod file could accomplish a lot. One could try to trick the game by naming a province "If you conquer me then replace mod.dm by mod2.dm" but it's not really good.