View Single Post
Old October 13th, 2009, 10:56 PM

Sergeant

LumenPlacidum is on a distinguished road
Default Kingdom of Angmar - Version 0.52 available

I have no modding skills and no real graphical skills, but I thought it would be a really awesome thing to try to mod a nation based on Tolkien's works. In selecting a nation which I could aspire to create, I wanted to try to emulate some of the dominions feel of having older nations and myths and concepts of which many people are unaware.

Quote:
Nine for mortal men, doomed to die.
So, I thought of the Angmar, founded by the Witch King of Angmar (the lord of the Nazgul). It would be a MA nation (with a nod in the direction of having Morgul be the LA variant and Mordor be the EA variant), and would be based on the evil human kingdom in northern Middle Earth. Since this kingdom is in the Misty Mountains, there is certainly the possibility of goblins and trolls.

Notable Figures:
The pretender selection for Angmar will be pretty limited, perhaps being restricted only to various forms of Sauron. Currently, there are a number of possible ones, which need to be fleshed out: Dark Lord (titan SC), Eye of Flame (immobile), Lord of Gifts (forge bonus, stealthy, corruption?), The Necromancer (archmage style), Master of Shapes (can alter between vampire, great wolf, and bat forms).

One thing that would make Angmar have a different 'feel' from other nations would be the inclusion of a heavy thug with the starting commanders, the Witch King of Angmar. This is a pretty big benefit, since it automatically supercharges expansion, but much of the magical potency of the nation would be focused in this unique unit. So, it's not so much a question of his presence overpowering the nation, but the fact that he can only do so much keeping the nation balanced.

I'd like to have the eight other ringwraiths as either unique summons or essentially as the result of artifacts. The unique summons seems like it would be relatively easy. However, I'm wondering if it's possible to do something like the lycanthropos amulet or the pebble skin suit and have a MR-based chance of turning into a Nazgul each turn when the artifact is worn. Obviously, these would be the nine rings of power intended for human hands.

Magic Diversity:
I'm thinking Angmar would have three magical paths as primary things: death, astral, water and fire. I think having very few sacred units (just priestly commanders and the nazgul themselves) would help to prevent it from being one of those mod nations that makes a race that can do everything.

National Units:
For units, I think the wild and barbarian-like human kingdoms of Angmar and Rhudaur as well as the orcs of Mt. Gundabad would provide sufficient variety. I'd imagine the Angmar humans to be elites with good equipment and stats, but costing lots of resources and a fair bit of gold. The Rhudaur humans would have furs and axes and would probably have a small berserk bonus. Finally, the orcs of Mt. Gundabad could be the capitol-only troops, supplying cave trolls and warg riders.

Anyway, suggestions are very welcome.

Version 0.5 - All national units done. No national spells complete and no heroes available yet.

Version 0.51 - Nazgul heroes added. Some units changed for gross balancing efforts (national mages made not quite so sucky)

Version 0.52 - Three national spells added, along with Barrow Wights and Uruloki.
Attached Files
File Type: zip Angmar_052.zip (53.5 KB, 826 views)

Last edited by LumenPlacidum; March 7th, 2010 at 06:30 PM.. Reason: New version available
The Following User Says Thank You to LumenPlacidum For This Useful Post: