View Single Post
Old August 20th, 2018, 01:35 AM

Private

raginis is on a distinguished road
Default Re: The Iraqi Lost Legion - generated campaign

Finally a Challenge
It looks as though the method worked - by expanding my core with relatively expensive units that I won't be heavily using, I gave the AI the opportunity to recruit some armor. The British have brought the Challenger I tank to the field. As subsequent events would show, it is only a section of two tanks, but they are enough. Virtually impervious to all my weapons, except for the AT gun (if it can ever get into position), or the RPG/recoilless (rear shot only), the Challengers are the kings of the battlefield.

Now, this challenger tank went all the way to the river - what was it looking for? I don't know. I tried to patiently position my AT units to take a rear shot, but the turn limit is only 22 - I have to push for a decision. The Iraqi troops captured the northernmost VP cluster, but the two southern ones, as expected, were captured by the British. The only way to get at them is to destroy the Challengers.

Interestingly enough, the Challenger did not take pot-shots at my jeeps or trucks, even the trucks that were carrying AT-guns. However, it must have seen them, as British mortars drew first blood and destroyed one of my AAMG jeeps, and retreated another off the map.

It proved impossible to directly take on the British armor. The Challenger that went furthest east was eventually close-assaulted by a mountain platoon, but it held off my advance long enough to protect the VPs behind it.

The Charge of the Light (Infantry) Brigade
The British did have plenty of infantry, armed with those ridiculous rifles and 2x MGs per squad, so they would have made mincemeat of my infantry...

... if it weren't for a judicious artillery barrage.

Artillery really earned its place in this battle. The HMGs and grenade launchers were simply too slow to keep up with the Iraqi infantry, so at the point where the "meeting engagement" battle became a true meeting, the support weapons were far behind. Due to the 22-turn limit, there was no time to wait for them. Had it not been for artillery, Mosin rifles would have squared off against modern assault rifles and machine guns. Even so, the artillery barrage only stopped the British, but did not allow me to annihilate them or take their VP clusters. The battle ends a draw.

The AI got some artillery overload points, but that's really because it took no artillery for itself. The Iraqi artillery support was somewhat heavy, but I don't think it was excessive. In any case, the Iraqi guns have bid a farewell to Lt. Mustafa and the Marauders continue on alone...
The Following User Says Thank You to raginis For This Useful Post: