Thread: MBT's
View Single Post
Old October 4th, 2020, 03:56 AM

Lieutenant General

Thanked 1,237 Times in 925 Posts
FASTBOAT TOUGH is on a distinguished road
Fallout Re: MBT's

Update on GERMAN LEOPARDS: This is as I feared it would be, it will be the "ABRAMS" for 2020/2021.

1. I won't be submitting any of the Commanders tanks as they are very rare ICO of Germany they only have two, so that cuts out one or two types.

2. I always thought the 2A5/2A6 shared the same armor values it appears that isn't true as well. The 2A6 apparently has a 3rd GEN Ceramic armor package onboard. So I believe in game terms, that means increased HEAT values, yes/no?

3. 2A6 EX is definitely the export version, that being said I will proceed to build upon those already in the OOB and transform to the current nomenclature units in service at this time to include the 2A6M and about 3 more 2A6 types.

I do not intend to deal with any LEOPARD before the 2A5, certainly not this year or ever God willing. Part of that reasoning thus far anyway, comes from the fact that the 2A5 tanks look good and that so far I haven't found any "incremental" upgrades to warrant any changes or additions to that series.

So I'll stick to my initial plan of using the last 2A5 in game one to come out of service and put it back into service until 2025. They are currently being used for training, but I have it on good word, as they are maintained at full combat readiness, Germany will use them to defend their country. And if you looked at a couple of refs I already posted on their total tank force, you'd understand why. I personally was caught off guard by the numbers, Poland and Ukraine have larger heavy armor forces among others.

However and I had a feeling this would happen, I have thus far found 2 foreign export countries tanks that need modifying as follows...

4) FINLAND they have the wrong tank. Finland's 2A6 tanks came from the Netherlands unmodified, in other words the 2A6NL, which as it turned out they themselves did a minor upgrades not a handful of years before they got out of the heavy armor business (It is rumored/believed they still maintain 20-25 tanks in storage.).
This fortunately is an easy fix by copying Dutch UNIT 037
over to Finland's UNIT 021 with a new picture as well, since they border the "Bear" they deserve that much!?!

5) SPAIN they did what SWEDEN did with the STRV 122 by having their tanks modified to their Specs, beyond the German standard. Except Spain ordered more tanks then Sweden and didn't have as much to spend on them overall, however, they spent what they had wisely on increasing the armor levels of their tanks (2A6E) along the Frontal Arc. It might be more than just a "gratis" 10% increase, this needs further evaluation.

6) This also means I have to look at the rest (Foreign/Export) but, I think it based on a "quick look" I haven't found anything in the export market that might require a change especially going back to the Chilean tanks we modified so many years ago now. Where does the time go!?!

On a side note and you'll love this, the other night while organizing my folders I decided (Bad Move!) to see what I had if anything in my Mozilla Firefox folder that MS was nice enough bring over when I switched to OS Win 8+.

Would you believe I found "stuff" from 2015 and earlier!?! So after deleting "news" and "related" items such as early start to some equipment now in, I was left with basically "hard core" equipment articles.

So the first 2 I opened up are from 2015 then I stopped, why? Would it surprise anyone out here with my "penchant" for finding things, that both those pieces of equipment have NOT been entered in the their respective OOB's! I'm thinking "OH WHAT WONDERFUL DAY!!". And I have more in the file! I think I'll avoid that file!?!

Well I see it's getting really late and someone's likely to kick my
!

So I bide you all "Bonne journée/Bonne soirée" until next time. if there is a next time!?!

Regards,
Pat

"Ex communi periculo, fraternitas" - My career long mentor and current friend -QMCM/SS M. Moher USN Ret..

Last edited by FASTBOAT TOUGH; October 4th, 2020 at 04:13 AM..