View Single Post
Old July 3rd, 2022, 12:43 PM

Second Lieutenant

Aeraaa is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Scenario 589-Taming the Tigers. A PBEM AAR

Aftermath

Germans lost 15 tanks, including 13 Panzer IVs and 2 Stug IVs. Soviets lost 10 tanks, including 2 IS-2s, 2 T34/85s, 1 ISU-122 and 5 T34/76s. Battle result is a draw, with Germans having more points due to one more VP. Since neither side made any significant gains and the end result is a dry stalemate, a draw seems like a fair result.

In my opinion, it is very difficult to have any better result vs. a human opponent. To the north, the abundance of infantry makes it easy to hold either village in spite of intense artillery use and the parallel roads make armored reinforcements quick and easy. To the south, the Soviet could potentially be a bit more aggressive, but the lack in infantry makes their advance very difficult. One player has to make a serious mistake for significant losses to happen. The only two instances was the PZIV ambushed in Szydlow and my heavier tanks attacked by German infantry with panzerfausts without significant infantry support.

You probably saw how easy it is for German scout teams with their panzerfausts to cause losses to Soviet armor, as well as the Soviet infantry acting as scouts and enabling IS-2s and T34-85s to take pot shots at German armor. It is interesting that in a scenario that is clearly envisioned as a tank battle, infantry is extremely valuable.

King Tigers proved to be extremely resilient as expected and since SaStroop used them correctly, not taking reckless risks, it was very difficult for me to find an opportunity for a flank shot. We both were very careful with our heavy tanks, using them from behind cover, taking shots and then retreating back. That was the reason that despite both tanks firing at each other, no kills happening between these two beasts. Typical engagement ranges were between 1000-1500 meters.

All in all, a fun game for sure. I thank SaStroop for the game and I hope I can find other interesting PBEM games to share.

Last edited by Aeraaa; July 3rd, 2022 at 12:50 PM..
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Aeraaa For This Useful Post: